Population: 6,337 (2015)
No. of Household: 1,468
Area: 1,364.40 Hectares
MAP OF KAWAS
Barangay Kawas aims to provide best value and best of the class basic services to its constituents in Barangay Kawas that will promote individual freedom, serve the general welfare and stimulate business activities through reasonable, transparent and prompt attention and response.
Barangay Kawas envision a dynamic, accessible and people oriented Barangay that will provide best value services to its constituents utilizing good governance, transparency, integrity and professionalism. Barangay Kawas is a God-centered Community.
Kawas, a coastal barangay of Alabel was established together with Poblacion, Alabel (formerly part of Municipality of Buayan) in October 16, 1956. The word Kawas was originated from a certain Kawas, a man who was known for making salt providing the need for flavoring and condiments. The popularity of Kawas became an undying myth of the locals, the Lumad specifically the Blaan,
“Muadto ta sa Kawas kambyo tag asin” (Let’s go to Kawas and exchanged salt).
Kawas died in a place named “paidesan”, a Maguindanao term for body of water known for salt depository, time passed by this place later became Baybay Kawas.
In 1938, Blaan tribe was flourishing in the area. Gregorio Orlino, a Christian settler who live in Kalunaga, a place near in Spring (which was also called homestead) and the Maguindanaon headed by Datu Mamagus Mamatus who lived in the riverbanks of Lun Padidu was considered pioneering settlers in the area.
The area has a Plaza which was uninhabited became their playground and hunting ground for wild deer from Bolol Kilot, later became the Barangay Site. This scenario exemplified the healthy relationship of the tri-people (Lumad, Muslim and Christian).
In 1940’s, after the Second World War, Cebuano settlers arrived to Mindanao to search of a good fortune, one of them was Lucio Seromines whom settled in Baybay Kawas and the local headed Masalamama, Bansalao and Orlino Family heartily welcome them.
In 1960, Datu Mamagus Mamatus convinced the populace of Baybay Kawas to transfer at the Plaza (currently the Barangay Site), with this, the first executive hall was erected roofed with buri leaves.
Datu Mamagus Mamatus moved to area together with his brethren namely Guad Omalmaya, Lapinig Omalmaya, Lumana Palati, Abdulah Bulahan, Sarif Hamid Pulalon, Sarif Sawabe Pulalon, Sarif Hamadul Pulalon, Esmael Musa, Bakal Alon, Lumabo Lintang, Diok, Dionesio Formoso, Angelo Regalado, Dionisio Jopson Sr., Cezar Mamporte Sr., Laya, Marquez, Taka Omalmaya, Kamdan Macaludas, Felipe Manlangit Sr., Dominador Oro, Salvador Tomulto Sr., Ricardo Quibete, Jose Tecson, Esequel Tecson, Andress Cudog, Martin Ybañes Sr., Cabezas and families headed by Lucio Seromines and Dionisio Piodos.
Foods were abundant because of fertile soil.
The political history of Kawas was in its advent making Jose Orlino Sr. as its first Tenyente del barrio (1956 – 1958). He was succeeded by Lucio Seromines (1958-1960), Felipe Manlangit (1960-1963) and Datu Mamagus Mamatus also known as Datu Sadavao (1963-1965).
In 1965-1971, first set of Barangay Official were headed by Felipe Manlangit Sr. as first Barangay Captain. He was assisted by his Kagawads namely Jose Tecson Sr., Felix Ortillano Sr., Sancho Cabezas, Sharif Hamadul Pulalon, Cepriano Piodos, Seberino Tomulto and Angelo Regalado. From 1971 to 1974, Jose Tecson Sr. acted as OIC Barangay Captain.
HON. DIONY P. SEROMINES
FRANCISCO C. LABUSTRO
REY H. SADAVAO
AILYN R. SAUBAN
MOHARIBEN I. OMALMAYA
MOHAMMED S. PULALON
ISABELITA A. PALATI
ROQUE BALBINO (SK Chair.)
TITING PAMBOY (IP Rep.)