It was in the early part of 1947 that the families of Santiago Alaba and Tomas Beldad Sr. first settled in the hinterland of Buayan. These two pioneering families established their claims over an area of two hundred thirty four hectares (234) of agricultural land which the Bureau of Lands later issued to them after incorporating it under Subdivision Case No. PLS 219-G, Buayan, Cotabato. The efforts of Alaba and Beldad families slowly, but surely, developed the area into an attractive, habitable, settlement. Muslims, Kalagans, Blaans and other cultural minority groups of the Southern Philippines wer some of its inhabitants.
A few years of president hardwork and patience bore fruit, when the little settlements was converted into a barrio of the Municipality of Dadiangas on September 17, 1956, through Resolution No. 182, series of 1956 sponsored by Hadjin Abdawa Mohamad and co-sponsored by Marcos Malinao. The new barrio was given the name “ALABEL” in honor of the pioneering Alaba and Beldad families. Subsequently, the Municipal Council issued Resolution No. 4 which gave full recognation to the first set of barrio Lieutenant; Honorio Lalisan as Vice Lieutenant; Ubaldo Gomez, Arsenio Dumpa, Crisanto Pagaling and Datu Elon Masanloc as barrio councilmen. The humanitarian ideology and the untiring efforts of the first barrio officials resulted to the construction of the first school building in the barrio. When Dadiangas became City (R.A. 5412), Alabel became the major artery in the fields of agriculture and human resources.
In May 1969, the Congressman for South Cotabato and Dadiangas City, Hon. James L. Chiongbian, started working for the conversion of Alabel into a municipality. Partinent papers and various petitions from the different sectors were sent to the 7th Congress of the Philippines during its second session. Consequently, House Bill No. 3222 was passed and ultimately was approved by both the Lower and the Upper House of Congress in 1969. In September 1971, the wish of the people of Alabel was finally granted. Alabel was made a Municipality by virtue of R.A. 6393. Initially, the town has eight (8) barrios: Poblacion, Alegria, Maribulan, Pag-asa, Kawas, Domolok, Bagacay, and Tokawal. Later in 1986 to 1989, four (4) other barangays were created: Spring, Baluntay, Datal Anggas, and Paraiso, bringing it to twelve (12) barangays, and in August 2012, Barangay Ladol was created and made it into 13 barangays that comprises the Municipality of Alabel.
The first set of elected municipal officials was headed by Municipal Mayor Lucio J. Alaba, Vice Mayor Jose Orlino, Jr., and Councilors: Dionisio Lim, Gregorio Lumanta, Hermogenes Pecolados, Ignacio Solis, Alfredo Radaza, Honorio Navarro, Teodolito Jabilles and Exequil Tecson. However, the historic EDSA Revolution in 1986 brought changes in the political set up of Alabel. For one, Mayor Lucio J. Alaba was replaced by Hernando L. Sibugan, who was appointed by Ministry of Local Government as the OIC-Mayor. In the 1988 local elections, Hon. Hernando L. Sibugan was elected as the new Municipal Mayor, and then re-elected for the second and third term during the May 1992 & 1995 elections, respectively. During his incumbency, his priority thrust centered on collaborative governance through transformation, transparency and promotion of harmonious relationship among municipal and barangay officials while maximazing resources for the establishment of the new municipal building, first GU-Pabahay, gradual development of public market and opening of farm to market road projects. There were also serveral public and private institutions established such as the Provincial Capitol Complex. Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), 55MW Diesel Power Plant of SPPC, among others.
In 1992, with the enactment of R.A. No. 7228, Alabel became the Capital Town, thereby shifting the municipality into a center of administration commerce, trade and investment of the newly created Sarangani Province.